Thursday, November 3, 2011

VOTE for Books!

Even though this isn't a big election year, I can't help but notice the plethora of political propaganda that seems to surround me. Midterm elections were held last year and I was desperate for a way to get my students involved in the elections and teach them about our voting process. I assigned a book report/book talk titled: "Vote for books!" Students had to self-select a book, read the book, and then  complete a graphic organizer I found in a mailbox book which, was just 3 blank stars. On each star students had to write one reason why someone should read their self-selected book. To keep up with political propaganda, we even made book campaign posters! This is a great assignment that leads right into persuasive writing and could easily be adapted for all elementary students (K-5). It's definitely something to consider as the 2012 elections get closer and closer...check out the pics below!


0 comments:

Post a Comment