Thursday, October 4, 2012

Currently October and a Fire Freebie

I'm linking up with Farley once again for her Currently linky party-my fav! I missed September due to all the back to school craziness, so I've literally been stalking Farley for the past 4 days hoping and waiting for the Currently October to be posted. Yes, I know I have things to do like laundry and dishes, but I don't like those kinds of things. It's much more fun to search, wait for, and participate in linky parties. :)

The Ugly Pumpkin

My favvv book is The Ugly Pumpkin. I actually found it last year after Abby over at The Inspired Apple blogged about it. It's about an ugly pumpkin that no one buys during October, so he goes out on his own searching for a place to fit in, and eventually learns that he's a squash and fits in much better at the Thanksgiving table. Heartwarming, cute, thought-provoking, just can't get enough of it and I can't wait to read it again this year!




In other news, in honor of National Fire Prevention week click HERE for a freebie! 


This is a template titled "My Fire Story" and includes the sentence starters First, Then, Next, After that, Then, and Last. I have an old, old picturing (sequencing) activity that I probably grabbed from a Mailbox Teacher's Helper catalog that I use in conjunction with this writing template. The  pictures depict a firefighter responding to a fire alarm, getting dressed, leaving the station, putting out a fire, etc. We cut them out, sequence them correctly, and then write one sentence to match each picture.  In the end we have our first FULL 1st grade story. Great way to introduce transition words and get 'em using 'em early on! I'd post the Mailbox handout, but I think that might violate copyright eek! Anyways, you can use the story template to write just about any fire story you'd like. It's simple, sweet, and straight forward. Hope you enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley...Oh my gosh I have been stalking Farley too, especially since I missed September!! I love her linky party! It is so fun to see what everyone is doing.

I may have to check out Ugly Pumpkin.

Terri Izatt
KinderKapers

Michelle Griffo said...

I am excited to be one of your first followers! I love the Ugly Pumpkin book! I was looking for it this weekend and couldn't find it! :)
Michelle
Apples and ABC's

Andrea Crawford said...

So glad you stopped by my blog and that you joined in on Farley's Currently! I will have to check out Ugly Pumpkin since I have never heard of it! I am now a follower!

Andrea
Reading Toward the Stars

Literacy Teacher said...

I just discovered your blog through Farley's Currently. I taught first grade for one year and just loved it! I am looking forward to reading more of your blog!

Delighted said...

I missed September too. It was definitely a crazy crazy month!! Glad to see you made the October Currently!

Good luck on getting those elves to come to your house and fold laundry. lol

imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Post a Comment